BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

3 posters

Looking for a Sherlock, Moriarty, or Mycroft

thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Looking for a Sherlock, Moriarty, or Mycroft - Page 20 Empty Re: Looking for a Sherlock, Moriarty, or Mycroft

Post by thearchenemy Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:20 pm

Might not be able to message for a few hours, at a sleepover.
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Job : Being me.
    Hobbies : Playing violin, research, annoying John.

Looking for a Sherlock, Moriarty, or Mycroft - Page 20 Empty Re: Looking for a Sherlock, Moriarty, or Mycroft

Post by Sherlock. Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

No hurry, the RP won't evaporate.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Location : Everywhere looking for a Greg Lestrade who can stand their ground / not immediately cowed by Mycroft 'I am just a minor official' Holmes
    Job : Mystrader & professional mischief-maker
    Hobbies : Thinking various alternative scenarios, exploring possibilities.

Post by Night Baron Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Have fun and see you later.

Any idea why so many fanfic Mycroft use complicated words and sentences even in ordinary circumstances? It is like hiding own inadequacy behind a flimsy veil of pretend sophistication, a clear sign of self-esteem issue. It is a glaring weakness and very dangerous in the kind of environment he moves around.
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:36 am

No idea, ^^. You could be right. I hadn't thought about that, I don't really read fanfic that often. How do you know if someone is sophisticated, or pretending to be anyway, unless they get it wrong?
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:03 pm

It's all in the manner and how he portrays himself outwards. Mycroft is seen as very straitlaced and proper, and it's very simple to take that overboard and make him act like such. It's a very delicate process to get a character to be accurate, and I don't think very many fanfiction writers understand how that process works. I don't read it very much either but it's the best guess I can make.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Location : Everywhere looking for a Greg Lestrade who can stand their ground / not immediately cowed by Mycroft 'I am just a minor official' Holmes

Post by Night Baron Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:13 pm

That level of 'sophistication' belongs to the trying-too-hard category and a glaring sign of a status-oriented character. According to Jim Moriarty's School of Mischief and Mayhem (my almamater), those people are the most entertaining to mess with. Detection come from experience of picking small behavioral clues.

Where's the Like button, I need to show my agreement for thearchenemy's post. lol
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:22 pm

It's funny how people think no one else will notice the little things that make big impacts.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:31 pm

Bet your friends are dismayed that you are a fan of Holmesian deduction, Lol.
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Why would they be dismayed?
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Why wouldn't they when you know things that most people prefers to stay unnoticed? To Sherlock, "Piss off!" Razz
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:01 pm

XD They're mostly accustomed to it, though one of them feels violated when I do it, so I refrain.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 pm

=DDD
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:13 pm

I also wish there was a like button.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Parchment as in the animal-based yellowish sheet used before the invention of modern (bleached) paper or the thin, water-proof coated type used in baking? Or is it the plant-based papyrus?
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Parchment paper, Katrina said, and as you say parchment isn't paper.

That's me for the graveyard shift here. G'night or good morning whichever.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:34 pm

Parchment, the animal-based kind, also used for writing. It is paper of sort. Now, the baking supplies-kind, people often confuse wax paper with the silicone-coated parchment paper. Considering Katrina never mentioned the exact conditions of the aforementioned paper beside water-damaged, it could be anything between the three. Someone's background of knowledge and intention will always affect their use of language, if they are 100% fluent on it. Assuming something without having the complete picture of it leads to (should be) avoidable error(s). It is like in The Adventure of the Abbey Grange, " Perhaps, when a man has special knowledge and special powers like my own, it rather encourages him to seek a complex explanation when a simpler one is at hand." On this case it is reversed, because there is Mrs. Moretti's presence, someone linked with baking therefore the easiest, but not always the true answer is the baking kind, which then beg a question of how it become water-damaged in a short time?
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:23 am

We can only write what we know, this is not to pull archenemy up on her knowledge of UK funeral ceremonies, she may know how they are conducted. So I had considered how the note was water damaged in a short time. In my experience, the only time you'll see the deceased in the coffin is indoors, whatever it was written on the note couldn't have been water damaged by rain. So, I assume there is a reason that the note was wet, and Sherlock hasn't got to asking that yet.

The plot calls for Sherlock to be affected by emotion which is what occurs initially in Abbey Grange due to the lady's "charming personality". Smile

Last edited by Sherlock. on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added to post - spelling)
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:35 am

Don't stray out of focus. In SHERLOCK world, details matter and they are often the difference between a successful solving of case and making a right mess. 'Parchment paper' is a general term and especially coming from a layman, it could mean anything and that's not even counting an attempt to test for the subject's concentration and knowledge. For us roleplayers it is simply a matter of browsing for a few minutes on the net to acquire the information about all three types. This is not the Victorian age, our characters have the power of internet on their fingertips and no longer have to depend on their personal repository of knowledge.
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:51 am

Night Baron wrote:Don't stray out of focus. In SHERLOCK world, details matter and they are often the difference between a successful solving of case and making a right mess. 'Parchment paper' is a general term and especially coming from a layman, it could mean anything and that's not even counting an attempt to test for the subject's concentration and knowledge. For us roleplayers it is a simply matter of browsing for a few minutes on the net to acquire the information about all three types. This is no longer a Victorian age, our characters have the power of internet on their fingertips and no longer have to depend on their personal repository of knowledge.

You assume laymanship of both parties. I have the repository of knowledge without recourse to googling it having worked with parchment, rag paper, laid paper and parchment paper. He hasn't finished asking her questions. If you wish to snipe from the sidelines feel free to play Sebastian Moran elsewhere. This constant critical analysis of almost everything I post is not giving any new members, who may lack confidence, the impression that we are a friendly forum ready to help them without being critical of their ability or performance in a role.

If archenemy is not satisfied with my Sherlock, she can let me know herself.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:58 am

Other people are free to do what they want to do and their confidence is not anybody's business but their own, that's why we choose partners according to our preferences. Matter of fact, ever since we have this thread there are more lurkers around here than before, means they find something of interest here. The world does not revolve around you so don't take everything personally. Katrina Greene is a detail-oriented character according to herself (and smart too) thus it stand that she have several different options for each scenario, which some includes attempt to test her discussion partner as already happen on the game.
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:24 am

If your comments are directed at me it would be a bit off of me not to respond.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 am

Shrugs. They are general statements and not necessarily needs to be answered. If I address someone I will do it in an unmistakable way which is including a question with the player's forum name attached. I don't bother to talk with those who fall so far beneath my standard, that's a waste of time and efforts for both parties. Only those who earned my regard will be engaged.

Last edited by Night Baron on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : beneath)
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:54 am

No comment.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:05 am

Grins. My Sib Husky says, "Welcome back!" complete with all the yipping, yelping and jumping around like a hyper kangaroo.
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:02 pm

You have a husky?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:23 am