BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

4 posters

Sherlock Wanted - Conventional Canon - The Red Headed League

John S Watson
    John S Watson

Job : GP Ex Army Captain, Devoted Companion,
    Hobbies : Medicine, Law, Military Strategy, Blogger

Sherlock Wanted - Conventional Canon - The Red Headed League Empty Sherlock Wanted - Conventional Canon - The Red Headed League

Post by John S Watson Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:39 am

I just fancy honing my John Watson skills by working through ACD Short Stories in a conventional way. Creating my own dialogue in line with the original story line. One of my favourite short stories is The Red Headed League. Its so simple but very clever. I need to have a starting point - a good middle and a fantastic end. To this end I am looking  for a Sherlock who wants to pursue the story to the end.

I would prefer the original time period covered but I don't mind bringing it forward to current times.

Of course there will be other characters needed and people can check the original characters in the particular story I want to cover. Its just a great way to cover our favourite topic the way WE want to and be whatever character we want to.

I am working on my John Watson persona at the moment so I will be John...

Oh and I am open to suggestions from other players.

Any offers from all you intrepid Sherlockians?

John
    J.Moriarty
    J.Moriarty

Job : Consulting criminal
    Hobbies : Skinning you.

Sherlock Wanted - Conventional Canon - The Red Headed League Empty Re: Sherlock Wanted - Conventional Canon - The Red Headed League

Post by J.Moriarty Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:09 am

I'll give it a shot, sorry, which character are present in the red headed league, I had read it before. I just cannot remember at the current moment, but if you need a Moriarty you can ask me Smile
    Missing pastry
    Missing pastry

Sherlock Wanted - Conventional Canon - The Red Headed League Empty Re: Sherlock Wanted - Conventional Canon - The Red Headed League

Post by Missing pastry Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:12 am

I'd happily play Wilson or some other character depending on how it's done.
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Job : Being me.
    Hobbies : Playing violin, research, annoying John.

Post by Sherlock. Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:42 am

I've volunteered for Sherlock. Obviously!

I was thinking yeah.
    Suggestion:
    Set it at end of series 3 where there were /are a number of bank jobs and we have a new villain from Redheaded League John Clay, murderer thief bank raider forger and money raiser for Children's homes. He's got hold of a gif of Moriarty which he's transmitted on telly screens to throw Scotland Yard into a flat spin while he plans a massive gold bullion bank raid and intends to fit up the Waters brothers gang for it. Spaulding is a brother in law and was on those jobs.

Vince Spaulding, baddie, the one with a white birthmark removal scar and heavily peirced ears, worms his way into the Photography Shop J WILSON run solely by James Wilson with very bright red hair.

Wilson's business is 'instant' 1 hour photo processing, he starts into wedding photography Saturday, Night do videoing and photography so needs an assistant to run the shop alone on Saturdays. Takes on Spaulding who pops down to the cellar dark room. Bad design of old building used as bank next door to Wilson's. Clay supplies the blueprints. Cellar to cellar.

Red headed league really was begun by Londoner red head who couldn't find romance due to his hair colour & started a dating agency and removed to Florida. Clay invents a legacy employing red head men to hand-write Romance Classics for clients who want to pretend they own an original manuscript.

J.Moriarty
    J.Moriarty

Post by J.Moriarty Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:43 am

Actaully, that sounds good and I will play Lestrade instead as Moriarty is seemingly not needed.
    Missing pastry
    Missing pastry

Post by Missing pastry Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:39 am

I guess as I said, I will play Wilson. I wonder how it will end?........
    John S Watson
    John S Watson

Post by John S Watson Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 am

I have already put this example starter in the wrong section but I will post it here just for completeness. I really wanted the original twist of Wilson having to do a similar task (e.g.. Writing out the Encyclopaedia Britannica, for a new website, this would keep Wilson away because according to the Red Headed League Rules he would have to work in an office on his own (away from his own establishment, so he wouldn't disturb the bank robbers.)  (The explanation being that they were using very expensive software and the only copy was on the computer in the office.)

As regards Moriarty. John Clay is given a pretty high profile (Canon) in the same league as  Moriarty (Murderer, Thief, Smasher and forger...)

I hope that you will consider using some of this content but is best if there is a consensus.

Original Starter

John was updating his Blog and was keen on including an adventure that he and Sherlock had been working on the previous year. He hadn’t entered it into the blog when it happened because there were a few delicate matters, related to the case, which Sherlock had not wanted releasing at the time. Sherlock had told him to wait for a year before revealing any details; he had kept his word.
    He thought for a minute before loading up the blog site and then he sat there thinking for a minute or two, before typing.

I had called home early one evening last Autumn, because the surgery heating had suddenly gone off due to a power cut. I had seen what patients I could but one by one the patients filtered out after I had explained I could only treat emergencies, Although the laptop battery lasted for a while Broadband had gone down when the power went off.

t hardly seemed worth keeping the surgery open so I’d called a taxi and was back at Baker Street in super quick time.

When I entered the house and walked up the stairs to the living room, I had found Sherlock deep in conversation with a big stout man, who took up two seats on the couch. The man was sweating profusely which was unusual for the time of the year and was sporting a huge thatch of bright red hair, big bushy red eyebrows, which reminded me of a Squirrel for some reason and a ruddy face. I was about to take my case and go and sit in my bedroom to catch up with some of my patients notes, I also needed to charge the batteries on my laptop.

I had said Hello to Sherlock and excused myself whilst I asked him if he’d seen the power supply anywhere.

He more or less ushered me in and shut the door behind me.

'"You've just arrived in the nick of time John; this is what looks like it might be a very interesting case and one in which I do believe you might have a very positive input indeed, This gentleman,  Mr Wilson is my partner and trusty assistant, and has been such in my solving of many of my most interesting and successful cases and I've no doubt he would prove extremely beneficial in solving yours."'

Don't worry about not using any of my stuff - I churn it out every day - and its great fun...

If I get a great storyline out this - I can help develop my John

Sherlock. I read your ideas after I had written mine and as usual I remain your humble servant.
    John

Post by Sherlock. Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 am

And never was there a more humble servant than Sherlock's modest and enthusiastic blogger. Nor a bigger arsehole of a Sherlock to have the great fortune of being saved by such.

As usual I've just thrown in a suggestion to get the ball rolling.

John, I'd suggest you write your starter in the present tense as usual in third person and write only what John is doing.
    John S Watson
    John S Watson

Post by John S Watson Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:29 pm

OK! I thought that may cause a bit of controversy. I actually wrote in the style of John in the original story (and of course he was talking in the first person.) and then of course I thought it might be God Modding - it was good fun doing it but I realise that its not how things are done. What's your opinion on the way forward - are we still going to open up with Wilson coming around and John arriving during the interview? I would really like you to have a bigger input as I want to really get into character as John. I would also like to see this one to the end.

John
    J.Moriarty
    J.Moriarty

Post by J.Moriarty Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:53 pm

But ya know, I need to research Mr Clay but if you need a Lestrade, I am more than capable to fill that role Smile
    John S Watson
    John S Watson

Post by John S Watson Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Yes. I don't see any reason why Lestrade can't replace Jones of the yard.

So we have a

Sherlock Holmes; Sherlock
    John Watson; Myself
    Lestrade; J. Moriarty - perhaps you Clay could be replaced by Moriarty

John
    John S Watson
    John S Watson

Post by John S Watson Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 pm

John was updating his Blog and was keen on including an adventure that he and Sherlock had been working on the previous year. He hadn’t entered it into the blog when it happened because there were a few delicate matters, related to the case, which Sherlock had not wanted releasing at the time. Sherlock had told him to wait for a year before revealing any details; he had kept his word.
    He thought for a minute before loading up the blog site and then he sat there thinking for a minute or two, before typing.

John had called home early one evening last Autumn, because the surgery heating had suddenly gone off due to a power cut. He had seen what patients He could but one by one the patients filtered out after He had explained He could only treat emergencies, Although the laptop battery lasted for a while Broadband had gone down when the power went off.

John thought it hardly seemed worth keeping the surgery open so he'd called a taxi and was back at Baker Street in super quick time.

When he entered the house and walked up the stairs to the living room, He had found Sherlock deep in conversation with a big stout man, who took up two seats on the couch. The man was sweating profusely which was unusual for the time of the year and was sporting a huge thatch of bright red hair, big bushy red eyebrows, which reminded him of a Squirrel for some reason and a ruddy face. He was about to take his case and go and sit in my bedroom to catch up with some of the  patients notes, He also needed to charge the batteries on his laptop.

He popped his head in to say Hello to Sherlock and excused whilst he asked him if he’d seen the laptop power supply anywhere.
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:38 am

Suggestion for the big ending. Have Spaulding arrested by Lestrade and the mastermind Moriarty, who wasn't at the crime scene, yawns and goes off to plot another brilliant crime. I seem to do RP's in which everyone playing a character achieves a goal and departs to fight another day.

J.Moriarty
    J.Moriarty

Post by J.Moriarty Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:54 am

Alright so, I am playing Lestrade and...Moriarty? Instead of Clay?
    Missing pastry
    Missing pastry

Post by Missing pastry Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:50 am

I'll as I have said play Wilson if that's what's needed or other characters as needed, I really don't mind.
    John S Watson
    John S Watson

Post by John S Watson Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Missing pastry.

Yeah that sounds fine.

The Game is on. I have posted the starter and Sherlock has responded.

Hi J.Moriarty Yeah that's cool by me Lestrade and Moriarty...

Thanks guys

John
    J.Moriarty
    J.Moriarty

Post by J.Moriarty Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 pm

So When should I pop in? I'm guessing it was Lestrade telling them about the red headed league and...? I did read up on the story, just changing it into a modern equivalent confused me xD !
    John S Watson
    John S Watson

Post by John S Watson Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:38 pm

It might be a good idea if you could pm Sherlock as he has a better understanding of where the case should be going. I did notice that The Red Headed League (Canon Version) has already be done of this forum and as this is the modern version Sherlock forwarded some ideas as what direction it should be going in.

Being John - I don't want to fool around with Sherlock's ideas lol.

John
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:00 am

Hi,
    @John thanks mate.

I'm taking it pretty much as the original is written in order so we need our client Mr Wilson to explain his problem first.

@Missing pastry please write him as you like with the proviso of having the most glorious bright red hair.

@ Jim Moriarty If you could write Moriarty having been behind the bank jobs planning and come in as Lestrade when they go to lie in wait for the catching of Vince Spalding in the act. -change Peter Jones for Greg Lestrade.

We can write the other necessary characters between ourselves as per usual. I made a suggestion for how this RP could go earlier in the thread and I think linked to the original story online. It's so our John gets a good go at being John to learn and present the character and for fun for us too.

Ta.
    J.Moriarty
    J.Moriarty

Post by J.Moriarty Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:04 am

Right, so I will wait for missing to reply and then I will? Very Happy Can't wait Smile
    John S Watson
    John S Watson

Post by John S Watson Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:46 pm

Erm thanks Sherlock. Can't wait to work through the Canon and update!

Thanks J.Moriarty

Vive la bank jobs!!!

John

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:24 am