BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

2 posters

greetings and salutations

Sherringford
    Sherringford

Job : Technical Writer
    Hobbies : Writing, Reading, Listening to Music while I do

greetings and salutations Empty greetings and salutations

Post by Sherringford Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:24 am

Hi all, I'm Bri and I've been rp'ing Sherlockian toons since the first Episode was released. Rp'ing other things since high school and pretending everything else since I was a kid.

I am best at the minor characters, mostly because I like filling out what is missing or unknown. I play canon Molly, Anthea, and Soo Lin. I also enjoy playing OC's, such as Sherringford, Moran, Sherlock and Molly's son, Mycroft's old friend and bodyguard, etc etc. (I inherited some toons from a friend, but they were developed so well, that I have recently taken them on and do my best to love them as much as she did). AU's of anyone and everyone are loved to bits.

That said, I do not play Sherlock, John, Mycroft, or Moriarty but love playing with/against them. Nor do I play Lestrade, Irene, or Mary (even if her name is MORstAN), Sally or what's his nuggets... Anderson! They do not fit in my mind, but to play with/against them would be lovely.

Character development is a big, big thing for me. I enjoy learning something new not only about the person I'm playing with but about the toon who has taken over my mind at the moment. Smut is fun to play as well (M/F and M/M), but some buildup and getting to know you is appreciated. What do I ship? Um...Molly and Sherlock (open to other males there as well) Soo Lin and Mycroft, Anthea and Mycroft (would love to do a threesome with a Lestrade in there), Moran and Moriarty (a Molly thrown in for a threesome would be fun too). I'm sure there are more, I just haven't thought of them yet. In regards to writing smut, I can, but I tend to be polite, not raunchy. Fading to black is fine if that is what you are comfortable with.

Prose - I like prose. I like to know what my toon is thinking and often times I'll put that down as part of the story, especially if s/he is fighting with me on how I want the story to go. My tags can vary in length based on what is going on in the thread.

There, I've said too much and probably not enough, but hopefully enough so you know where to start asking questions.

Last edited by Sherringford on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Location : Everywhere looking for a Greg Lestrade who can stand their ground / not immediately cowed by Mycroft 'I am just a minor official' Holmes
    Job : Mystrader & professional mischief-maker
    Hobbies : Thinking various alternative scenarios, exploring possibilities.

greetings and salutations Empty Re: greetings and salutations

Post by Night Baron Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:41 am

Hi Bri, welcome! ^^ Wow, you are one of a kind to prefer those characters, and you like Mythea too! Do you realize that you've just set yourself to be an extremely tasty bait for fellow roleplayers here? Because that was you just do Very Happy Soo Lin was largely undeveloped in the BBC canon so it would be interesting to see what you have for her.

Ok, on to the standard question.... What genres do you prefer to play with and which settings most appealing for you?
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:03 pm

Soo Lin is a favorite of mine and interesting to write. I find when I write her, the way I compose sentences changes. She's an odd duck. That said, obviously to make her interesting, Dr. Watson must have saved her and then she went into hiding, thus the Mycroft connection.

Genres? Well, modern day BBC Sherlock, Victorian, WW2, faerie tale, sci-fi...I'm sure there are more. I don't like horror, even if my Moran tends to make things bleed or gets tortured by his boss. As an aside, I recently took a Molly to meet the very first Doctor Who. (That story started because I read that Louise Beasley tried out for the role of Rose and I thought that Molly Hooper might make an interesting companion.) Have also been playing a shapeshifter Moran, tiger of course. I'm very open to time and type.

What setting I like best? That's more difficult to answer. Except horror, I haven't found one I don't like. I whatever it is, I will research. I like knowing what medicines Molly has available, what gun Anthea has in her shoulder holster (and yes, she has one), what rifle Moran will hug to his shoulder, or if the engine of the car must be cranked.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Location : Everywhere looking for a Greg Lestrade who can stand their ground / not immediately cowed by Mycroft 'I am just a minor official' Holmes

Post by Night Baron Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:10 pm

[whispers], yes, Soo Lin Yao is an odd duck and as a rule plenty of Sherlockians likes the unusual. Wink

No no... genres are adventure, mystery, drama, etc. I'll change the second question. What kind of things YOU wants to play right now?
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:31 pm

There we were—demented children mincing about in clothes that no one ever wore, speaking as no man ever spoke, swearing love in wigs and rhymed couplets, killing each other with wooden swords, hollow protestations of faith hurled after empty promises of vengeance—and every gesture, every pose, vanishing into the thin unpopulated air. We ransomed our dignity to the clouds, and the uncomprehending birds listened. Don't you see?! We're actors—we're the opposite of people! ~ The Player, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead.

That said, Sebastian, Molly, and Anthea are my most easy to pick up and run with. Soo Lin and Sherring are a little less easy, but no less wanted. Irene's brother and Mycroft's bodyguard are more difficult. What I want to play? Just about anything. I know, that doesn't narrow it down, my apologies, it's been a quiet summer.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:46 pm

greetings and salutations Thinking-skype-smiley

To choose which characters would be involved in a story come naturally after we established the kind of story it is and its settings (or maybe that's just my way of looking at creative writing process).
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:52 pm

I tend to start with the who and then build from there, but that's me. Who, that I have thrown out sounds interesting to you? Who would you be interesting in playing?

Once the toons are settled, then I ask, what might they be doing? ie Mycroft and Anthea in the office reviewing a difficult case or one of them has been stuck with truth serum during an interrogation. Molly in the lab, or A&E, or being drug outside because John is unavailable. Soo Lin making tea for someone or divulging some of her secrets. Jack trying to line up a shot while his phone vibrates and it's the boss on the line, or worse, they're getting raided and he has to get out of there.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:06 pm

My specialization is Mycroft, or rather, Mycroft with a touch of Jim Moriarty. In fandom's term it is Dark Mycroft.

From your list of characters the most interesting is Anthea and Soo Lin Yao, Moran, bodyguard (or do you also play the likes of Sir Edward and Lady Smallwood too?).

Tried Sherlock and I am not satisfied with the result. Molly Hooper, Greg Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson are out except for minor appearances. All of these characters I cannot truly play how their mind works, something that I consider as important when playing a role.

Torture scene (if that's what you mean with interrogation) is TheWoman1987's specialization. You can try by messaging her.
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Specialities, as one of my toons would say, is a good thing.

The reason why I usually start with 'who' rather than the story, is because sometimes Seb will sulk, or Cyrus (oc/au bodyguard/friend, taken from the Mycroft book) will lose his voice, even Molly will go into hiding. Playing with Mycroft, Anthea and Soo Lin may be the easiest to begin with until our different voices are familiarized with. Soo Lin comes fresh from the hospital and a damaged but healing liver. Anthea anywhere you wish. Am happy to cover the characters I have listed, should they come up. So, scene comes next in my book, might have been first in yours, what shall we throw them into? An introduction for either? Working a case with Anthea? Opening some seized crates and needing an expert's opinion on authenticity?

[Thanks for the referral on torture, but I'm really not interested. Was merely acknowledging that Jim gets away with it when it comes to Moran and I'll look between my fingers (does make it difficult to type, however) Smile ]
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:46 pm

Character-driven vs event-driven Laughing

How about an artefact from a British museum that the PRC wants back as it was 'seized unlawfully during the opium war'.
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:53 pm

[Sometimes events/memes will provoke a toon into responding. Cool ]

Soo Lin, in my mind, smuggled out at least 2 of those teapots in her last run. It's one of the reasons she feels responsible for them. In which case, they were donated anonymously.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:57 pm

That works too. The PRC wants them back but that's not their only goals. You listed Pacific Time, how about something with the infamous nine dash lines and the importance of those areas for trading, security, etc?
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Trade route to the southern ports, available fish stocks, and potential oil reserves, yes. China is fighting the UN's decision, something is bound to boil over.

Having the last name of Yao, Soo Lin had family connections to the Yao people in southern China. Her mother and father being dead means that her connections with the smugglers are more likely to come into play than family. Not sure how that will play out, but thinking aloud.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Brainstorming is fun. ^^

Humm... it is possible to play the cultural part of the Yao people for a start then we'll see what else we can come up with.

Smugglers.... they most likely not only playing with artifacts. People / precursor of drugs / weapons?
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:50 am

Absolutely the Tong is smuggling drugs, weapons, and people, both into the country and/or as slaves. Those pressed into slavery is not just a war zone issue, the importation into the UK is a problem. Some interesting news articles on that particular thing.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:44 am

Now how to make it big enough on the scale that warrant 'The Consulting Government's (Wink ) ' attention.
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:51 pm

With M, it seems that one thing is connected to another. The special relationship between UK and US continues, is the US tugging to have the UK take a certain position? Is there information he wants from the Taiwanese that they are withholding unless some plan is supported? Um....
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:43 pm

So many possibilities for fun Laughing

What your Soo Lin toon said about this?
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Not much in my mind, but then it's never come up. Remember, she was trying to stay out of the way of the Tong and smugglers. Doesn't mean that she doesn't know how they operate, however.

It seems that if that is the passageway to/from southern China's ports, then the countries that get to claim it (Philippines) could do searches of China's ships. That might affect how much is being smuggled via container ship.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:53 pm

And from this angle we get Russia involved since there are joint military drills in that area. Very Happy

What do you think if Soo Lin, known as murdered by the Tong (at least for now) was placed on a private facility for recovery after the ordeal and get a visit or two from someone because they think that she might know more about something? Except that three piece suit is not exactly suitable to make people relax and talk and can you imagine M acting all warm and 'please trust me because I mean well'? Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Mycroft, if he let he be known that he was Sherlock's brother, would have a good reception by that reason alone. Sherlock was quite patient in his visit with her and of course, John was life-savingly helpful. Mycroft wouldn't have to go out of his way and be saccharine to win her over, gentle, in much the way Sherlock was, but not over the top.

As far as what she knows, schedules and people, and very likely more, if she were prompted. Being there was an unhappy life, and not something she would wish to think of, despite attempts be of assistance. We can dive in and see what comes up and what she surprises me with.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:24 pm

^^ It is a deal.
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:11 am

Excellent! I'll coax her into making me some mental tea this morning and she will give me an advisory on what she is thinking. It would seem that she wasn't checked in under her actual name, that she would have been under protection until, at least, General Shan, and Liang, et al was dead or arrested. She is an asset that would just fade away into the background if not given something to do to anchor her in Londen/UK.

Would you like to begin, or should I?
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:36 am

You first, choose the exact point of time since you seems to have a specific slice in mind. Smile
    Sherringford
    Sherringford

Post by Sherringford Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:45 am

Traditional rp or au, do you think?

No one has superpowers and the world will be the world as it is. I suppose if Jim can live so can Soo Lin...leaning towards traditional.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:17 am